Monday 21 November 2011

Vintage Federer


Like any Federer fan I dislike juxtaposing these two words... and it’s an irony that I write this when the swiss professional has just bagged his first Paris Open. But like any sport, the champion cannot stay on the top of the game for eternity.  Federer has surely had his dream run for five years from 2003 to 2008 and it was Wimbledon 2011 when it first hit me…. watching him play so well against Djokovic during the semis for the initial two sets and then switching off completely for the rest of the match… and all due credit to Novak who was two sets down to come out will all guns blaring and make Roger concede victory .. Is age getting to the tennis champion?? Coz apart from that I fail to see any other reason … I doubt any tennis follower would like to question the skill supremacy of him…

Having said that the player was truly in sublime form during the Paris open… His match against Berdych was nothing short of brilliance… He got off to a brilliant start, breaking Berdych's serve as he opened a 2-0 lead. Dictating play with dipping cross-court shots, he kept the Czech at bay. Moreover there were only a couple of unforced errors, which is very uncharacteristic of Federer. Many writers have applauded his performance as a comeback but I guess it is more of a swan song. 

I cant help but compare the swiss favourite with the so called reigning champions. If I were asked, I do not particularly enjoy watching Nadal against Djokovic, with the high lofted returns well above the net….waiting for the other guy to make an error…and not to mention the series of injuries these two players have been facing keeping them from playing these three setter ATP tours. But maybe I am prejudiced….

No comments:

Post a Comment